Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Was it or wasn't it?

I've been thinking differently about my trip the last few days.

I've been thinking about what I saw and who I saw. And I realise something now I didn't realise before.

I've been very judgemental of the Bengali people. I went there believing I was going to see poor people. But more than just that - I went there believing the people were poorly.

There's a difference between poor and impoverished. And it's both good and bad.

Sometimes when we describe people as poor I don't think we mean impoverished - we mean inferior. Poor as in quality - not quantity.

Was life in Kolkata as bad as I saw it? Or did I believe it was bad and then saw it that way?

I think I'm starting to see a difference between what I looked at - and what I saw...

No comments: