Saturday, December 8, 2007

Kolkata at last

I am writing this to you from a crappy dodgey internet cafe in
Kolkata.

This city is harder than Dhaka for a couple of reasons

One is that I am more tired now than the first day in Dhaka. The
second is it is bigger and faster paced. THere are more buses, fewer
rickshaws - LOTS more cars

We've been to Mother Theresas Mauseleum this morning and looked
around and seen her "tomb" thing.

It was special but sad at the same time. It was all very humble but I
think she'd be sad that so many people seemed to come to worship her.
AS we were there maybe 200 people came thru to bow and kiss her
tombstone and pray over her

I don't think she'd be happy with that fuss

But it was special to go and see her and think about the work she did
there

We went out for coffee and wandered down some side streets. Amazing
sights. People washing in drains, carving the side of a cow, working
on motorbikes, burning (something) - all in a row next to street
vendors and all sorts

Blows your mind

Less beggars but as much poverty and filth - there's just no room for
the beggars I guess

I am worried I am not going to like it as much here. But I am tired
and still a bit unwell

Perhaps tomorrow with some sleep and feeling a bit better I might
embrace it more - right now I feel like I'm goign thru the motions

Got a hard time coming up for the film. I want to film J.O. (the
head guy here) as he shows us the Business as Mission stuff but he
really HATES cameras - but this is the most important part of the
trip for me personally

Please *hope* that he and I can find a compromise - I meet him (for
the 2nd time) tonight

The team is mostly well now - just J.D., R.P. and I with the same
stomach problem.

Hopefully tomorrow brings good news

must fly

No comments: