Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Reverse Culture Shock

It's another term and generally all our giving terms to things starts to seem a bit silly after a while but I am definitely experiencing something akin to this one

It's weird being back in New Zealand

I've been trying to figure out why.

For the first couple of days I ate nothing but salad cos I haven't been able to eat any while away. Salad is washed in water and water over there is dangerous - so I've been in massive vitamin withdrawal and thoroughly enjoying fresh uncooked vegetables

The first 2 days were about trying to get my stomach to feel normal again with familiar fresh food. And hoping my lungs and airways would feel less abused.

All the time you're thinking about what you've seen and experienced. Your brain doesn't stop running all the encoounters over and over and wondering what those people are up to now

We went out to breakfast this morning (K and I) on the advice of all our friends who tell us we won't have time to do these kinds of things once baby comes.

I watched people shopping and tried to equate them with the people we saw doing the same in Kolkata and Dhaka. They're all just people living their lives and going about their business.

But they're not the same.

I guess for the first couple of weeks I tried to put the experiences of Dhaka into the compartments in my head that hold the experiences you have in New Zealand. That didn't work so you have to stop doing that. Now I'm back and the experiences I was having while away are now gone and these "new-old" ones don't fit the boxes I was preparing for the "old-new" ones

This probably makes no sense. I guess if it still doesn't make sense to me it'd be ambitious to have it make sense for anyone else

Suffice to say - it's weird (but good) to be back

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the food significantly different from one place to the other?

(R.H.) said...

Not significantly, no. The two cities are both in Benagali tribal land so they are (basically) the same people group.

Lunch and Dinner meals were basically chicken/fish/goat curry with a vegetable curry and dahl on rice.

In Bangladesh you also got (bitter) cucumber and tomato on the side and a teaspoon of salt to season your meal with. Weird but true.

Every meal was pretty much the same.